I have been a Julep Maven for about two years now, so you can just imagine how many Julep products I have in my room. I absolutely love the brand’s nail polishes–in fact, you can find me with a Julep color on my nails for most of the year–but their skin care line is something I have been treating with great caution. A while back, I received the Luxe Repair Skin Serum in one of my Maven boxes. Oh, cool, a serum! This was while I was still developing my full 10 step skin care routine, and I was very excited to add a serum to my nightly regimen. It was absolutely awful. Honestly, I hated the thing so much that I actually threw it out. [You can find a quick review of the serum at the end of this post.] Due to my experience with their serum, I have been very hesitant to try any other Julep skin care products. So, when a tube of the Night Shift Sleeping Mask showed up at my house, it was because I completely forgot to review my subscription for that month. I kept the product in a drawer for a while, forgot about it, and only granted it a test run when I eventually rediscovered it. I can say that I have been pleasantly surprised. My experience with this sleeping mask is the complete opposite of that with the serum. Product description:
The Night Shift Sleeping Mask claims to promote cell renewal and moisturize your skin while you sleep. Like the serum, it also contains Power Cell Complex.
What exactly is Power Cell Complex? It’s Julep’s “proprietary blend of rosehip seed oil, green coffee bean oil, and Malvaceae lipid extract.” A detailed breakdown of these ingredients can be found on the Julep blog.
Night Shift Sleeping Mask Review
- Packaging: The mask comes in a slim tube with silver metal screw cap. It feels very lightweight, so it’s an awesome thing to toss in your travel bag.
- Scent: I think it has a sweet and strangely artificial floral scent–does that even make sense? The perfume can be a bit overpowering, so it fails in this aspect.
- Texture: This is a thick moisturizer, but spreads thinly and evenly. It has a very soft and velvety feel.
- Experience: I have been using this about twice a week as a sleeping mask. I apply it as the last step of my skin care routine and wash it off first thing in the morning. This product really stays on your face. I can definitely still feel it when I wake up hours later. It leaves my skin smooth and hydrated; however, keep in mind that I use this to lock in all of the other moisture I have already added (serum, emulsion, moisturizer, etc.). Because of its thick and creamy consistency, I will probably be using this mask more regularly in the winter.
- Rating: 4/5. This is a good sleeping mask, but it’s not the best. Additionally, I am quite sensitive to smell, so I also docked the rating because of that.
Luxe Repair Skin Serum Review
- Packaging: The serum comes in a silver cylindrical tube with pump. Since it first arrived in my Maven box, my product was constantly leaking, but I couldn’t figure out the source. This is the main reason why I was so quick to throw it out.
- Scent: It smelled SO bad, kind of like fish oil.
- Texture: Thick, slick, and oily… This is by far the greasiest serum I have ever tried.
- Experience: I had a hard time dealing with the poor packaging, rancid smell, and oily texture. I did try to use this product a couple of times, but I didn’t notice any particular effect on my skin. I was also quite scared that it would just cause me to break out.
- Rating: 1/5. This sadly goes down as the worst skin care product I have ever tried. Sorry, Julep! The serum does, however, have a 4/5 rating on the Julep website, so, if you dare, maybe your experience will be much better than mine.